From Connecticut Land Conservation Council:
ACTION: Submit testimony in OPPOSITION to the elimination of the Council on Environmental Quality, H.B. 7051 (Sections 9-18 and 31) (Public Hearing 3/13).
Email Your Testimony: Please email your testimony to email@example.com (pdf or word format preferred), with “GAE Committee Testimony”, H.B. 7051, “CEQ” and “3/13” in subject line.
Contact your Legislators: Send them a copy of your testimony. Click HERE to find your legislators’ contact information. Organizations, businesses or other entities – please use your official letterhead. Individuals – include your name and town.
- I oppose the elimination of CEQ.
- CEQ is the state’s only independent environmental watch-dog agency.
- Since 1971, CEQ has provided the public with objective and independent oversight of the state’s environment efficiently, effectively and at minimal cost ($174,000) to the state.
- Acting through its volunteer council and just two staff, with limited support from DEEP for administrative purposes only, CEQ services include: The Environmental Monitor (project information for the public under the CT Environmental Policy Act and for notices of proposed transfers of land), Annual Reports on Environmental Quality, Special Reports (most recently, “Energy Sprawl in Connecticut”), monthly meetings and an opportunity for citizens to lodge complaints and otherwise voice concerns.
- There is likely no state agency that does so much for so little.
Additional Information: H.B 7051 Section 31 of the bill repeals CGS Section 22a-11, the statute that establishes the CEQ. Sections 9 through 18 eliminate the CEQ’s duties and authorities pursuant to CEPA, surplus property statutes, and other laws. One CEQ duty, publication of the Environmental Monitor, is transferred to DEEP; all others are eliminated.
Public Hearing Information: A public hearing on will be held on Monday, March 13, 10:00am, by the Government Administration and Elections Committee, in Room 2A, Legislative Office Building, 300 Capitol Ave., Hartford.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to testify at the public hearing or need assistance submitting your comments.